DOCVIT | the Reason for the Failure of Listing in Hong Kong
Source: Time: 2018-11-07 16:10:23 Author:
At present, the United States and Hong Kong capital markets are the most popular choices for domestic companies to list overseas. Due to its important position in the world capital market and special geographical location, listing in Hong Kong is the best choice for many domestic companies. However, many applicants have recently been rejected by the Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Market (including Main Board and GEM). This note by the International Affairs team form Beijing Docvit Law Firm briefly discusses the reasons for the failure of listing in Hong Kong.
I. The Purpose of Listing Is Not Clear
1. The applicant failed to demonstrate the need for expand of its business and manpower;
2. The applicant has sufficient funds to prove that it needs to obtain financing through listing;
3. The use of fundraising funds is not commensurate with future business strategies.
II. Whether the applicant is sustainable after the listing is extremely uncertain
1. The applicant has a low profit margin and is constantly regressing. It may not be able to continue to operate after listing;
2. Certain loans and guarantees provided by some applicants, which are microfinance companies, do not comply with the local policies applicable to microfinance companies, and the applicant may face the cancellation of the business license;
3. The business of the applicant during the business record period has been banned by government policies. And the applicant plans to adjust its business model after the listing. The transformation of business model and/or product portfolio will greatly affect business model, cost structure, profitability and risk assessment of the applicant, but the applicant failed to prove that the new business is sustainable.
4. The applicant outsourced the business of the products it sold during the business record period, and then it intends to shift its business focus to producing and selling another new product after the listing. The new business is fundamentally different from the existing business of the applicant. The management has no experience in operating new business and the applicant has failed to demonstrate the sustainability of the new business.
5. The applicant maintains a positive cash balance only from bank financing;
6. The applicant's gearing ratio and net current liabilities were high;
7. The market share of the applicant brand was low and there was a downward trend;
8. After the manufacturer terminated the supply of a major product, the financial statements of the applicant showed a retrogression.
9. In order to improve its business, the applicants plan to shift their business focus to the second brand after the business record period, but the brand has a lower market share;
10. During the business record period, the applicants failed to address the impact of rising operating costs and the financial performance was reversed. Although the applicants implemented the throttling measures in the last year of the business record period, the trend of the applicants' business retreat could not be stopped. At the same time, the management failed to prove that it was able to reverse the performance of the applicants after the business record period.
III. Cannot apply the “continuity of ownership and control throughout the full financial year” ( GEM Listing Rules, Article 11.12(2))
1. In the recent financial year, some of the controlling shareholders withdrew and the sponsor failed to prove that the former controlling shareholder was a passive shareholder during the relevant business record period;
2. During the period from the recent financial year to the pre-IPO, there was a significant change in the voting rights of some controlling shareholders;
3. One of the controlling shareholders is no longer a controlling shareholder after the most recent financial year, and the sponsor has failed to prove that the change has little effect on management. It is not possible for investors to assess how the applicant manages the business only under the influence of the remaining controlling shareholders based on the previous financial performance of the applicant.
IV. CANOT apply the minimum profit requirement (Main Board Listing Rule, Article 8.05 (1) (a))
1. The applicant must hold a license to carry out its principal business. If the applicant do not has the license, the income of this part is non-compliant business income. If it does not calculate the income from non-compliance business, it will not meet the minimum profit requirement;
2. Parts of the operating expenses of the applicant come from the interest-free loan of the controlling shareholder. The interest-free loan is an abnormal commercial term. If the loan is calculated, it will not meet the minimum profit requirement.
3. The amount of non-compliance loans of some micro-finance company applicant is huge. If the non-compliance loan income is not calculated, it will not meet the minimum profit requirement.
V. CANOT apply the minimum market capitalisation requirement (GEM Listing Rule, Article 11.23(6))
Since the applicant is listed on the GEM in the form of introduction and there is no public offering in the listing, the applicant relies on the forecast P/E ratio to estimate its market value. The value is calculated based on very subjective and random assessment data. The Hong Kong Stock Exchange considered that the applicant has not satisfactorily proved that it is eligible for listing.
VI. Over-reliance on the external environment
1. A property management service provider provides property management services based on a single estate. During the business record period, over 90% of the applicant's revenue came from the largest customer and/or major product. Applicants' income during the business record period is dependent on their respective customers, but reliance is not two-way and complementary, that is, their respective customers do not rely on them. And the applicant organization failed to prove that it has the ability to reduce its reliance on a single housing estate after the business record period.
2. The industry operating technology and/or industry regulatory environment is constantly changing, but the applicant lacks experience in selling new/upgraded products. Therefore, it failed to attract new customers during the business record period to reduce reliance. At the same time, the applicant failed to demonstrate that it can reduce its reliance on a single customer after the business record period.
3. The existing venue of the applicant, engaged in the catering industry, has a short lease term. The rise in rental costs has a large impact on the company's business, and the company's bargaining power is low.
VII. Executive misconduct (Main Board Listing Rule, Article 3.08 and 3.09)
During the business record period, several senior executives were convicted of commercial bribery.
VIII. CANOT apply the minimum cash flow requirement (GEM Listing Rule, Article 11.12A(1))
During the business record period, most of the applicants' income came from unconditional subsidies from local governments, but these subsidies were not directly related to the main business. The Hong Kong Stock Exchange considers that such grants are not obtained in the day-to-day business of the applicant. If the subsidies are deducted, the applicant does not meet the minimum cash flow requirements.
1. The controlling shareholder and major shareholder have the act of selling shares during the business record period
2. The applicant organization did not obtain the relevant construction permit before starting construction/operation of important factories.
May be interested
Series Product LineMore
Legal Health Index Report on National Insurance Industry (2015 - 2017) is compiled by Green Legal Global Alliance (GLGA), with the Beijing Docvit Law Firm as the professional support unit. Under the guidance of an external team of experts, it is one of the series of research topics in the legal health index report of capital market industry. In 2017, Green Legal Global Alliance (GLGA) successfully released its first research achievement of the series of research projects in the legal health index report on capital market industry, that is the Legal Health Index Report on Private Equity Industry. Report on Insurance Industry Legal Health Index is the second research result of this research topic.
Based on an in-depth study and research on the overall non-performing asset industry, Green Legal Global Alliance Research Institute and Beijing Docvit Law Firm jointly complied 2018 Blue Book of China's Non-Performing Assets with certain academic and public welfare, hoping to bring guidance to the industry and reflect the innovation of the non-performing asset industry itself.
Legal Health Index Report on Listed Companies among Central SOE (A-shares) is the first index report on the health development of listed companies among central SOE (A-shares) in the market with legal health-oriented and judging criteria. It is the first index report on listed companies among central SOE (A-shares) with public welfare and academic nature launched by a third party, and it is an innovative measure for researching and evaluating the listed companies among central enterprises (A-shares) as a new perspective.
Docvit News | Mr. XI Xiaohong, senior adviser of our firm, was invited to attend "CBLJ Forum 2019" and delivered a wonderful speech Docvit News | Director LIU Guangchao was employed as the instructor of the 11th "Sunshine Growth Program for Young Lawyers" of Beijing Lawyers Association Docvit News | A number of management leaders of our firm inspected the progress of a major project and expressed sympathy to the front-line lawyer team Docvit News | Beijing Docvit Law Firm Hong Kong Branch has obtained the recommendation letter from All China Lawyers Association and furthered the pace of internationalization
Achievements of Docvit | We managed to win the bid for the legal service institutional repository of China National Nuclear Corporation Achievements of Docvit | We managed to win the bidding for the alternative repository of legal services intermediary institution of China Petroleum & Chemical Sales Co., Ltd. Shanxi Branch Achievements of Docvit | We managed to enter into contracts with several institutions and would provide regular legal services for them. Achievements of Docvit | We managed to get shortlisted in the external non-litigious lawyer repository of China Chengtong Holdings Group Ltd.
With the launch of the "Fellow Program", Docvit hopes to unite with the like-minded lawyers of the country to build a career platform and realize their career dreams together. "Fellow Program I" aims to recruit partners, business partners and executive directors for the Docvit Branch in China.
"Fellow Program II" aims to recruit partners and lawyers for Docvit Headquarters and Beijing Office across the country and around the world to become what the industry, Docvit itself, market and clients want.
"Fellow Program III" aims to recruit partners for national branches of Docvit nationwide and globally. Docvit's national and global development blueprints require more partners to draw together, and let us work together to create a respectable law firm.
[08/31]Forum on Insurance & Insurance Asset Management Industries’ Innovation and Legal Health Development under the New Pattern of Financial Opening-up and Release Conference of Blue Book of Legal Health of China’s Insurance Industry 2018 (Index & Special Reports)At present, China’s financial open-up has entered a substantial promotion stage, and as an important link thereof, opening-up of insurance industry plays a unique role in financial opening-up. Under the new opening-up pattern of finance and insurance industry, and in the new situation of pan-asset management and integrated development, it has become an urgent topic to discuss and study how China’s insurance asset management institutions should grasp development opportunities, meet challenges head on, how to promote standardized transformation and sound development of the insurance and insurance asset management industries, and how to achieve innovation and high-quality development in compliance.
[08/17]Launch ceremony of DOCVIT bond default dispute resolution new product line and seminar on bond default disposal and bond market development under the new normal of economyHalfway through 2019, how will the bond market perform in the second half of the year? How will various factors affecting the bond market work? Where are the investment opportunities? How do bond default disposal and bond market develop under the new normal of economy? In order to discuss the above issues in depth, Beijing DOCVIT Law Firm will hold a seminar “bond default disposal and bond market development under the new normal of economy”. At the seminar, DOCVIT bond default dispute resolution new product line will be released; the product line studies and analyzes the development environment of China’s bond market and the problems and challenges facing its dispute resolution in the context of the new normal of economy and, from a legal perspective, explores the new ideas on bond default disposal in the context of tighter regulation.
[08/03]3rd Forum on China’s Economic Development and Legal Regulation and Release Ceremony of GLGA Blue Book of China’s Non-performing Assets 2018In recent years, in the face of a complex international environment and arduous tasks of domestic reform, development and stability, China's economy has maintained a generally steady development trend. However, the Sino-US trade issue is still unresolved and, given the aftershocks of domestic market’s breaking the rigid payment, can China’s economy maintain low volatility and high-quality, stable development in the future? And what opportunities and challenges will China’s macroeconomic development face?