How to solve the deadlock caused by shareholders' contradiction?
Source: Beijing DOCVIT Law Firm Time: 2021-07-27 19:31:53 Author: The dispute resolution team
Party A, Party B and Party C established company a in 2008, holding 51%, 45% and 4% shares respectively. In 2018, due to policy adjustment, the main business of company a could not continue to operate. Party A, Party B and Party C held shareholders' meetings on the transformation and development direction of company a for many times, but Party A and Party B could not reach an agreement. Up to now, the development of the company has been stagnant, How can companies get out of trouble?
In such desperate situation, Party B filed a lawsuit for dissolution of company a in January 2021. After hearing, the court held that the company has been closed down and suffered losses since 2018, and there are serious difficulties in operation. Moreover, due to the objective reasons that the shareholders can not reach an agreement on the company's affairs, the company's management is deadlocked, resulting in the failure to form an effective resolution of the shareholders' meeting for more than two years, which makes the development of the company seriously difficult, According to the Company Law and the Provisions of the Supreme People's Court on Several Issues Concerning the Application of the Company Law(2), company A was then dissolved.
Ⅰ. Relevant law: The causes and characteristics of shareholders' contradiction
In the process of management of private enterprises, corporate deadlock is an important factor to block the continuous operation of the company, cause the company to lose money for years, and even lead to the dissolution of the company. As the most important and destructive contradiction in the company, the shareholder contradiction causes the failure of the corporate governance mechanism and the formation of corporate deadlock. Therefore, it is an important issue in corporate governance to correctly understand and understand the contradictions between shareholders, and timely prevent and correctly deal with the risks of contradictions among shareholders.
The contradiction of shareholders is often reflected in the company's business development planning, the company's interest distribution and the daily decision-making among shareholders. The root of the contradiction of shareholders lies in the rights of shareholders, mainly the balance between the property rights and control rights of shareholders. From the company level, the main reasons for the contradictions among shareholders can be divided into the following aspects: unreasonable structure of shareholders, unreasonable distribution of equity, unreasonable distribution of interests (imbalance of rights and interests among shareholders), contradiction of management authority and so on.
The main characteristics of the shareholder conflicts and disputes arising from the above reasons are as follows:
1. Because of the intense conflict of personal cooperation, it is difficult for the court to accept the judgment;
2. The frequent occurrence of shareholder conflicts is mainly concentrated in the initial development stage after the establishment of the company (within 2-7 years after the establishment), which easily leads to the company's failure to operate normally;
3. The conflicts and disputes among shareholders may lead to the intensification of a series of disputes between the company and its shareholders;
4. The "lethality" is stronger: the contradiction and dispute between shareholders is the heavyweight factor leading to the survival of the company. At the same time, because of the complexity of the contradiction and dispute between shareholders, such cases are often accompanied by the problem of criminal and civil overlapping.
Ⅱ. Feasible measures and suggestions to deal with shareholders' contradiction
It is a compulsory course for private enterprises in the process of governance to prevent shareholder conflicts and properly deal with the company deadlock caused by shareholder disputes. According to the current situation and specific characteristics of shareholder conflicts, combined with relevant cases and practice, this paper puts forward the coping and solving mechanism of shareholder conflicts from two aspects of prevention first and intervention afterwards.
1. Reasonable optimization of equity design: while optimizing the ownership structure, the equity design within the company is optimized from the aspects of equity installment cash, dynamic adjustment of equity, establishment of reasonable distribution rules and establishment of shareholder exit mechanism, and so on, so as to reduce the frequent occurrence of conflicts and disputes among shareholders from the governance level.
2. Improve the relevant prevention system and documents: through the shareholder agreement, the articles of association, the establishment of other special systems and other relevant corporate governance documents, design solutions in advance for the possible company deadlock, clearly define the deadlock state and put forward feasible solutions, such as: preset independent third party to provide professional opinions on voting matters, set up independent director system,the voting system of Industry Association, the compulsory repurchase clause in deadlock, and the setting of dissolution reasons, etc. At the same time, we should pay attention to the stability of the content of the relevant system. It can be clearly agreed that the amendment of some provisions in the relevant system must be unanimously agreed by all shareholders, and try to reduce the matters that must be approved by all shareholders, so as to ensure the efficiency of the company's operation.
3. The company should pay attention to the balance of shareholders' rights. We can make detailed provisions on shareholders' rights from the aspects of implementing shareholders' right to know, making clear shareholders' control over the company and the disposal of equity. From the perspective of long-term development of the company, we can prevent and avoid the fatal harm of shareholders' shield to the enterprise.
Post intervention measures
1. Internal coordination of the company. In view of the contradiction between shareholders, the company and shareholders can seek the solution of the company's internal procedure coordination: to deal with the contradiction and dispute between shareholders, one shareholder withdraws, which is the most direct and rapid way to end the conflict. The specific withdrawal scheme of shareholders can be realized through the procedures of equity transfer between shareholders, company buyback, company capital reduction, company separation, etc, The specific operation process is selected according to the actual situation and needs of shareholders and the company, and the implementation of specific solutions is determined by agreement between the parties.
2. Seek the coordination of independent third party intermediary. If there is no internal communication and coordination, we can focus on the focus of contradictions through the intervention of independent third-party organizations or professionals (lawyers, tax agents, accountants), and the third party can mediate and mediate to achieve the solution and promote the implementation of the solution.
3. Resort to judicial relief is a common way to solve the company deadlock. When the parties to the conflict can not reach a solution through negotiation, and either party is unwilling or unable to quit the company, the last way to solve the problem is to file a lawsuit and ask the court to decide to dissolve the company. In the practice of judicial relief, we should make good use of the court's mediation procedure before making use of public power to achieve the main contradiction in resolving shareholder disputes, so as to achieve a win-win situation between the company and shareholders and avoid the company's dissolution.
If it is inevitable to break the company deadlock by dissolving the company in the end, it should be noted that in the judicial practice of dissolving the company, not all cases of company deadlock caused by shareholders' contradictions can achieve the result of dissolving the company and breaking the deadlock through litigation, Attention should be paid to the following conditions: shareholders who have the right to sue for dissolution should hold more than 10% of the voting rights, and there are serious difficulties in the operation and management of the company. In the practical trial, the court's trial focuses on whether the company meets the conditions of "serious difficulties in operation". According to the guidance cases of local courts and the Supreme Court, we should judge whether there are serious difficulties in the operation and management of the company from the following two aspects:
1. Comprehensive analysis is made from the operation status of the company's organization. Even if the company is in a state of profit, its shareholders' meeting will fail for a long time, and its internal management has serious obstacles, which has reached a deadlock. It can be regarded as having the conditions for dissolution. The lack of funds, serious losses and other operational difficulties of the company are not necessarily the conditions for the court to accept the lawsuit of dissolution of the company.
2. Whether the company and the shareholders themselves have exhausted other relief channels except the judicial judgment of the court. Other remedies include internal remedies in accordance with the articles of association, external equity transfer or internal equity transfer, and other judicial remedies outside the dissolution of the company (such as the appeal for redemption of dissenting shareholders). In the trial practice, the defendant shareholder or the third party outside the company to purchase the equity of the plaintiff shareholder is often used by the court as an alternative dissolution scheme.
May be interested
Series Product LineMore
The purpose of this report is to provide insights into legislation, regulation, and justice in the form of private equity industry indices. As the first legal cross-border alliance which takes the law as the core element, research institute as the support, the Internet as the platform, and the internationalization as the vision, Green Legal Global Alliance (GLGA) has been concerned about the ways in which legislation, regulation and justice will affect the private placement industry. Up to now, the volume of private equity funds has grown to the same level as public funds, and its development speed is so rapid.
Legal Health Index Report on National Insurance Industry (2015 - 2017) is compiled by Green Legal Global Alliance (GLGA), with the Beijing Docvit Law Firm as the professional support unit. Under the guidance of an external team of experts, it is one of the series of research topics in the legal health index report of capital market industry. In 2017, Green Legal Global Alliance (GLGA) successfully released its first research achievement of the series of research projects in the legal health index report on capital market industry, that is the Legal Health Index Report on Private Equity Industry. Report on Insurance Industry Legal Health Index is the second research result of this research topic.
Based on an in-depth study and research on the overall non-performing asset industry, Green Legal Global Alliance Research Institute and Beijing Docvit Law Firm jointly complied 2018 Blue Book of China's Non-Performing Assets with certain academic and public welfare, hoping to bring guidance to the industry and reflect the innovation of the non-performing asset industry itself.
Docvit News | Mr. XI Xiaohong, senior adviser of our firm, was invited to attend "CBLJ Forum 2019" and delivered a wonderful speech Docvit News | Director LIU Guangchao was employed as the instructor of the 11th "Sunshine Growth Program for Young Lawyers" of Beijing Lawyers Association Docvit News | A number of management leaders of our firm inspected the progress of a major project and expressed sympathy to the front-line lawyer team Docvit News | Beijing Docvit Law Firm Hong Kong Branch has obtained the recommendation letter from All China Lawyers Association and furthered the pace of internationalization
Achievements of Docvit | We managed to win the bid for the legal service institutional repository of China National Nuclear Corporation Achievements of Docvit | We managed to win the bidding for the alternative repository of legal services intermediary institution of China Petroleum & Chemical Sales Co., Ltd. Shanxi Branch Achievements of Docvit | We managed to enter into contracts with several institutions and would provide regular legal services for them. Achievements of Docvit | We managed to get shortlisted in the external non-litigious lawyer repository of China Chengtong Holdings Group Ltd.
With the launch of the "Fellow Program", Docvit hopes to unite with the like-minded lawyers of the country to build a career platform and realize their career dreams together. "Fellow Program I" aims to recruit partners, business partners and executive directors for the Docvit Branch in China.
"Fellow Program II" aims to recruit partners and lawyers for Docvit Headquarters and Beijing Office across the country and around the world to become what the industry, Docvit itself, market and clients want.
"Fellow Program III" aims to recruit partners for national branches of Docvit nationwide and globally. Docvit's national and global development blueprints require more partners to draw together, and let us work together to create a respectable law firm.
[08/31]Forum on Insurance & Insurance Asset Management Industries’ Innovation and Legal Health Development under the New Pattern of Financial Opening-up and Release Conference of Blue Book of Legal Health of China’s Insurance Industry 2018 (Index & Special Reports)At present, China’s financial open-up has entered a substantial promotion stage, and as an important link thereof, opening-up of insurance industry plays a unique role in financial opening-up. Under the new opening-up pattern of finance and insurance industry, and in the new situation of pan-asset management and integrated development, it has become an urgent topic to discuss and study how China’s insurance asset management institutions should grasp development opportunities, meet challenges head on, how to promote standardized transformation and sound development of the insurance and insurance asset management industries, and how to achieve innovation and high-quality development in compliance.
[08/17]Launch ceremony of DOCVIT bond default dispute resolution new product line and seminar on bond default disposal and bond market development under the new normal of economyHalfway through 2019, how will the bond market perform in the second half of the year? How will various factors affecting the bond market work? Where are the investment opportunities? How do bond default disposal and bond market develop under the new normal of economy? In order to discuss the above issues in depth, Beijing DOCVIT Law Firm will hold a seminar “bond default disposal and bond market development under the new normal of economy”. At the seminar, DOCVIT bond default dispute resolution new product line will be released; the product line studies and analyzes the development environment of China’s bond market and the problems and challenges facing its dispute resolution in the context of the new normal of economy and, from a legal perspective, explores the new ideas on bond default disposal in the context of tighter regulation.
[08/03]3rd Forum on China’s Economic Development and Legal Regulation and Release Ceremony of GLGA Blue Book of China’s Non-performing Assets 2018In recent years, in the face of a complex international environment and arduous tasks of domestic reform, development and stability, China's economy has maintained a generally steady development trend. However, the Sino-US trade issue is still unresolved and, given the aftershocks of domestic market’s breaking the rigid payment, can China’s economy maintain low volatility and high-quality, stable development in the future? And what opportunities and challenges will China’s macroeconomic development face?